Friday, April 1, 2011

4/1/11

The ride was long, about ten hours. I left during a slight drizzle in Charlotte and ended up in Jersey when it was dark outside. I left my key on the coffee table for my roommate. My room looked as if someone had lived there, but the closet and drawers were empty, only the furniture remained. I remembered only a few months back when we moved in and I didn’t have anything except for an air mattress because getting the big screen tv was more of a priority than buying a bed. It didn’t seem real. This wasn’t what I had planned. I wanted to cry but I had nothing left. I was exhausted from barely sleeping the last few nights and the rollercoaster had left me physically and emotionally drained. I’d made the drive back north plenty of times but none under circumstances like these. I made those trips knowing I’d be back pretty soon, but this one was made with so much uncertainty. I usually drive and listen to loud music to sing along to on long trips, but I kept it relatively quiet in hopes of slowing my thoughts down. I don’t remember any details from the drive because I suppose I was in a daze and just wanted to know what would happen next. It wasn’t the type of anticipation I was used to. Instead of hoping that things would get better and turn out to be alright in the next few days/weeks/months, the anticipation was blind. I knew something lay ahead of me but what? I’d passed exit 52 so many times while driving through New Jersey on my way up to Connecticut that I never took the time to read the sign. Turns out I was exiting into a town called Butler and onto Route 23. New Jersey didn’t make sense to me because I needed to take a left turn into the apartment complex my parents were staying at until we would be able to move into our new place, but I wasn’t allowed to. They make you go around a jug-handle on the right so I could cross the street and get to where I needed to go. Whatever, I wasn’t going to analyze the practicality of the roads tonight. I just wanted to sleep. I just wanted to lay down and let the last week catch up with me. I wanted it to hit me and I wanted to finally relax because things were about to change and I was finally home with my parents. It wasn’t the home I had grown up in for twenty years. We traded that for a crammed studio apartment with outdated everything. That didn’t matter though, I was there with Mom and Dad and I could finally rest. I only remember one song from the drive to New Jersey…O.A.R. told me that “Each day is a gift”. I’d taken a lot of things for granted up until that point in my life. Things always seemed to have a way of working out in my favor, maybe this would too…this can’t be happening to me…maybe this wasn’t really happening…maybe I’d wake up in my apartment and everything would be in its place…maybe it was all some sort of joke…after all, it was April 1, 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment