Tuesday, April 12, 2011

4/12/11

This past weekend I was lucky enough to be asked to speak at two Relay for Life events. I learned a very valuable lesson though about agreeing to things very far in advance: I need to realize that despite how my mind feels about doing these events, I must also remember my body might not be as enthusiastic about it two days after treatment. Well you live you learn, right? I definitely learned this weekend. I don’t mind speaking in public and I like to think I put together some coherent thoughts once in a while and the audience could take something away from it. I didn’t feel that great after treatment on Thursday and I promptly went to bed right when I got home. Friday never really happened since I didn’t venture out of my bed until after 5pm. I wasn’t feeling that well and I knew that if I stood up to walk around I’d immediately have to run to the bathroom to puke. Only problem was I had no interest in running anywhere and I couldn’t stand the thought of what my mom’s face would look like if I told her I threw up on the new carpet. So the solution was to remain in bed. Usually I’d begin feeling a lot better on Saturdays so I kept my fingers crossed because I knew it was too late to cancel on the Relays. Saturday came around and I was really hating myself for saying I’d be feeling well enough to speak later that night. I didn’t eat much of anything except for some toast and stayed on the couch watching golf until I absolutely needed to get ready. After a car ride of constant mental reminders to focus on objects in the distance and having my finger on the window control just in case, we made it to Fairleigh Dickinson University in Madison (Hey I go there!). Yes, I was speaking at my school and I wasn’t too sure how I felt about it, but knew it was something I needed to do. I transferred up here because of my illness and it follows and affects me in every facet of my life, school has been somewhere I can blend in and pretend to be normal if only for a few hours a day. My professors are aware I have a medical condition and I don’t go into any detail unless I miss some classes and feel I owe an explanation. Either way we were there and it was showtime. I wasn’t schedule to speak for a few minutes so I wandered around to a few of the buildings trying to find a vending machine that was working because I figured some carbonation might help settle my stomach. I got my drink and came back to declare to my parents that “I would consider this a moral victory if I don’t puke on the stage.” My dad laughed and my mom shook her head but they both knew I was serious. I spoke for only a minute to the crowd of about 120 because I didn’t want to bore them and we were in a gym so the terrible acoustics meant I could only hear my own voice which got very annoying. I was able to get my point across and had I been feeling a little better I might have made more sense. We made our way to the next Relay at Blair Academy, a small boarding school about 30 minutes from my house. The students there raised over $30k in a short period of time and the energy and enthusiasm they brought to the event was truly amazing. I spoke a little longer because I was starting to feel a little better, but it was still an abbreviated version of my usual spiel. I can only hope they were able to take something away from what I said. Anything at all and I’d have done my job. It was an inspiring evening for me because it was great to see young people getting involved in such a great cause. For me, it’s not about trying to tell these young people a story that’s supposed to make them feel sad, it’s a story that’s supposed to make them realize that anything can happen. I want them to realize that the only way your generation can become the one that cures cancer is to be proactive in the fight.

But thank you to those Relays for having me and I’d love to come back and speak again hopefully on a day I’m feeling better so I can do a better job. I have a scan next Tuesday and we’ll get the results on Thursday so fingers crossed that this stuff is doing its job.

1 comment:

  1. Nate I totally use school as a mechanism to blend in as well!!

    Please let me know how your scan goes if you feel up to it.

    Lindsay

    ReplyDelete