Sunday, June 21, 2009

On June 18th I went for my fifth chemotherapy treatment at Sloan-Kettering. Prior to the treatment I met with my doctor who was very pleased with the way my blood counts and liver function has been responding so far. Since this was the fifth round of chemo, they want to do some CT scans on the 24th so hopefully they will be able to get a better idea of exactly how much progress I've made. The chemo hasn't been too bad this time...I really didn't experience any side-effects except for a runny nose and I slept for pretty much the entire day on Saturday, but I really can't complain when I see how other people at the hospital are reacting to the chemo. Like I've said a few times before, the hardest part of this process is that I feel fine...I have started going to the gym every night, but it is hard being in there and having to take it easy while my inner athlete wants to push my limits. As boring as it is in New Jersey I'm starting to adjust and our new place is starting to feel like home. I'm looking for a part time job or something small just to keep me busy during the day so I don't drive myself too crazy...I'm also starting to research some of the schools around here that I might be able to commute to so this way I don't fall too far behind in my studies. Of course, being a finance major, I might want to stay in school a bit longer due to the economy...but we'll see, I'm in no rush. I'm just looking forward to Wednesday and getting these scans done so we can see how things are going. I'm not sure when we'll get the results of the scans, but I'm scheduled for my regular chemo treatment on the following Thursday July 2nd, so perhaps we'll have to wait until then to meet with my doctor. There hasn't been any news yet about the genetic testing, but my doctor believes we should find out whether or not it was successful in the next week or two so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that they were able to isolate this genetic mutation. We did get a bid of good news this week because someone in the family (I won't mention names in case they don't want me to) had a colonoscopy done and there were growths that were found. Thankfully everything was removed and the tests showed that nothing had started to develop any sort of cancerous cells yet. Like I had mentioned earlier, screening for this sort of stuff doesn't start until you're closer to being 30 years old...this person was much younger and my doctor said it was a good thing everything was found now because a few more years would've meant someone else in the family would have to follow a similar path as mine. Hopefully I'll have some good news to write about in the next two weeks, but just remember, you have to be an advocate for your own health...If you suspect something isn't right then go see the doctor even if it ends up being nothing you will have that peace of mind. I love you all and LIVESTRONG...

No comments:

Post a Comment